Friday 13 December 2013

Styling Trends: Tomboy

“Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.” 


― Coco Chanel


Hi everyone!

Today our post is a feature on styling a trend that's been in fashion for quite a while - Tomboy. Some of our tomboy style inspirations include Rihanna, Kristen Stewart and Jessie J. Here's our own take on styling the tomboy trend and how we ditched our skirts and dresses for baggy tees, baseball jackets and flannel shirts. 



Jenell

Jacket: Sister's; Tightrope
Tank Top: Zara
Shorts: Zara
Shoes: Converse


"Honestly this was a little out of my comfort zone because I have never had the courage to venture out into the tomboy trend. But I'm glad that I did to fit this post's theme and tried something new :)

I built my outfit from a single piece for start - the baseball jacket. I had to borrow it from my sister's wardrobe because I don't have anything remotely tomboy! I decided to go with a simple tank and shorts that are a little baggy to give a frumpy 'i couldn't care less about fitting clothes' look. For my shoes, my best bet for a tomboy theme would have to be my beaten up Converse sneakers."





Hafieqa

Top: Thrifted
Cap: Bugis
Shorts: Korean Fashion
Stockings: Bugis
Shoes: Converse


"Hey all, here's my tomboy look. I believe it would not have really worked without the cap. 
I feel that my favourite ripped shorts (you'd probably see me wearing it almost all the time) added some value to the whole outfit. On top of that, it's extremely comfortable and adds colour to any outfit. "






Natasha

Overalls: Jap online store 
Tank: Mango
Shoes: Online Shoppers


"Nothing says tomboy more than a good pair of overalls. Well to me, at least. There's something playful and simultaneously masculine about them. They also give a nostalgic kick back to the 90s where fashion was rather wicked and bitchin' at that time. It's too bad that I don't have one in denim. 

But this linen-like one that I have right here works decently. I appreciate how the fabric flares towards my feet, giving some definition to my waist. I was conscious about not picking an extravagant pair of shoes so I had gone full flat with my new webbed sandals I've come to love so much. My inner wear is a plain black tank to match with the murky green overalls giving off the military vibe"





Trudy

Muscle tank: Topshop
Flannel shirt: Uniqlo
Jeans: Uniqlo
Watch: Casio
Shoes: Underground UK


"I never knew I could look like a tomboy till I dressed like one. Initially, I wanted to wear my flannel shirt as per normal, but it got really hot so I tied it to my waist instead. It worked out pretty well, don't you think? People say I look like I want to kill someone when I don't smile, but with this outfit I think I officially look like a serial killer.
My creepers (shoes) always make my outfits look a little grungey, which I like. Too bad it keeps falling apart, so much for my life savings..."






Vernice

Oversized shirt: Topman 
Necklace: F21 
Earrings: Bangkok
Socks: Em from fatfoal 
Shoes: Adidas Stan Smith


"I am probably the most tomboy out of the five of us as I'm most of the time in sneakers and hardly in dresses. This outfit is inspired by the brand Joyrich which is featured very often in my favourite Japanese magazines!  
I chose this oversized shirt as the motifs are what most tomboys are familiar with, skateboards and sneakers. 

I accessorized the outfit with a gold chain as its a staple for many street looks. Lastly, I paired to look with funky dinosaur earrings and astronaut socks. "





Like usual, let us know! Share with us on Facebook / Comment if you guys would like to show us your Tomboy looks! 

[Tomboy] Whose outfit do you like most?
  
pollcode.com free polls 



Stay tuned for our next Christmas installation coming up! 

No comments: