Wednesday 29 January 2014

Fashion and Men: Passion Beyond Gender

Hi everyone! :)

Today we are back with a post that would kick-start clothesxenvy's venture into men's fashion. We think men's fashion is a scene that's up and coming and what better to introduce it here with a post on someone that has been catching our eye lately with his fashion sense. We sit down for an interview with him to find out more about him and his interest in fashion and what it means to be a guy that is passionate about fashion.

Photos are credited to Edward's Instagram

Edward would probably catch your eye if you were to walk past him in campus. Simply because of the fact that he dresses rather unconventionally from your average Joe on the street. The 20 year old Engineering student takes pride in what he puts on daily. How he dresses is one of the most important aspects to him.

First off, we think there has been one too many times where people have associated men that are interested in fashion with negative judgment statements like "He cares about his appearance, he must be gay." Because of the fact that people have largely associated "fashion" as a feminine interest, guys with a passion in fashion have been deemed as people that aren't "straight".

It's a really interesting topic and each to it's own. But if you are a guy and are interested in fashion and plan to start a blog to share your interest with the rest of the world, why not? We even think that a guy that is concerned about his appearance and bothers to dress up to look good, is rather attractive too ;)

***

Hi Edward, thanks for taking the time to sit down with us for this interview.
When did you start getting interested in fashion?

Edward: "You're welcome! I actually started getting into fashion when I was in secondary school a few years back, when I made the decision to lose weight drastically. This way, I became more conscious about my appearance and therefore, started wanting to dress better so I looked better.

I like fashion and have a passion for it mainly because I find that clothes can help hide flaws on a body. Its just like make up, clothes with colors and design can help enhance a person's look."


Where do you usually get your fashion inspiration and dress sense?

Edward: " I usually look for designers that can inspire outfit ideas and that give me the vibe to come up with new outfits. Designers like Prada, Maison Martin Margiela, Commes des Garcons, etc. The most expensive fashion item I own would be a tee from Givenchy that costed $800, made from the highest grade cotton. Of course, I don't always go for high end designers brand, I also shop at Zara, Topman. I find that these two stores also have great classic pieces like a good blazer (from Zara) and Topman sells pretty decent and interesting shirts and tees. So I wouldn't say that I am a brand conscious person because I am someone that believes that it isn't always the case that if it's expensive, its good. Sometimes high end goods use lousy material that isn't worth the money."


What's your drive to dress up on a daily basis?

Edward: "I dress up for myself based on mood. I'm quite aware that I think differently from other guys and its not uncommon that I get some hate comments sometimes for what I'm wearing. For example, today I'm wearing floral prints and not every guy can appreciate the vibe and style that I'm going for. But at the end of the day, what's important is that I feel comfortable in what I'm wearing and I don't need to live up to people's comments. I really only need to dress up for myself and just so long as I like it - it's all cool."


You seem to be really updated on these brands. How does your family feel about your fashion and your expressions?

Edward: "My family doesn't really support me buying these clothes that are quite expensive. I am not the only child either, I have 2 sisters and 1 brother and I am the youngest out of all of them. Which means I'm usually saving up or working to get any fashion "want" at the moment."


Such dedication... So what are you doing in poly as of the moment and does it have any relation with fashion?

Edward: "I'm currently in my last year of Engineering. Yes I know that it doesn't have any relation with fashion but I do have to say that I admire the design aspects of the planes in Aerospace Engineering. The reason why I decided to pursue engineering instead of fashion because I feel that fashion design studies in Singapore will not give me a bright future. It's a very small market and the designers here usually are restricted, in comparison to foreign designers.

If I were to ever consider to step into the fashion industry professionally after my diploma, it would most probably be into fashion entrepreneurship or marketing and I would like to pursue it overseas. Simply because I feel that there are more opportunities overseas because they provide more hands on experience for aspiring fashion designers as compared to in Singapore."


Thanks for your time and for sharing with us your future plans. But before we conclude, do you have any fashion tips for your fellow male counterparts this lunar new year in terms of fashion and dressing up for the occasion?  (:

Edward: "I find that Singaporean males do not usually like to dress up and I think it's mainly because of the weather and this restricts their creativity with the clothes they choose to wear. It's usually just shorts, slippers, tees,etc.

My fashion tip for them is to use this occasion to experiment with colors. It's the simplest way to look more dressy and stand out from the usual dressing. Stay away from blacks, greys and white. They are safe colors, but they are also boring colors.

Dress up with your shoes, wear statement colored shoes! New Balance sneakers are all the trend lately because they make any outfit pop with a youth factor. For those who wish to take a step further, why not try tartan prints? It's making a comeback from the past too."





There you have it guys! ;)

Thank you for all the comments and suggestions to venture into men's fashion!

Stay tuned as Edward joins us again in our upcoming post where we will be introducing one of our partners, Pave, "a movement committed to champion the patterned print lifestyle." (credits to pave.sg)

No comments: